Ok..

Wed Jan 30 16:36:54 UTC 2002

> From: <Kstone@win.net>

> The reason I'm asking, is that I'm attempting to remove some checksums,
> that I dont need nor would be useful to me.  The "from:" on my spam is
> always mutated, as well as the subject, or atleast a few characters on the
> end of the subject are.. It's no longer looking for/calculating those
>checksums, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to break fuz1 doing so

By default, the version 1.0.44 DCC server does not save From header
or envelope values nor any of the non-body checksums, except entries
in the server whitelist.  This reduces the size of the database by
an initial factor of 2/8 or 3/8.  It often reduces the total size
of the database by another factor 0f 1.5 to 2 because not having those
checksums helps the compression mechanisms that combine identical reports.

I'm still working on ways to make dbclean run at tolerable speeds on
systems that are too small to keep the entire hash table in memory.

> Another reason for posting this.. I installed .43 and copied my .42
> configs to it's directory, but now after I start it up dccd..
>
> bash-2.05# cat ~/superclean.email | ./dccproc -Cd
> DCC 127.0.0.1: ERROR  query: bad hash list entry at 0x1ecb

That message says the database has been corrupted, and specifically
the dcc_db.hash file.
`/var/dcc/libexec/dbclean -R -i xxx` should fix the problem.
If the daemon is not running, use `/var/dcc/libexec/dbclean -R -S`

(Version 1.0.44 has fixes for are holes in the protections intended
to prevent the database corruption that will happen if `dbclean -S`
is used when the daemon is running.)

I'd like to hear of ways to repeat such database corruption.  It's
been about a year since the last known corruption bugs were squashed.