Does running spam through dccproc help the good fight?

Sat Jan 26 16:11:23 UTC 2002

> From: Chris Shenton <chris@Shenton.Org>

> When I get spam that DCC doesn't catch (very low counts) I've been
> feeding it through dccproc like:
>
>         | dccproc -t many -w ~/.dcc/whiteclnt
>
> I was hoping that it would compute sums and send them to the DCC
> servers, such that the next time anyone got a similar spam, DCC would
> notice it.   Is this a realistic understanding?  If it doesn't help
> the fight against spam, there's really no reason for me to do this
> extra manual step...

That works, which is why the dccproc man page mentions `dccproc -t many`
I do it for the spam that leaks, but without the whitelist since I
know it doesn't apply.  You have to decide for yourself whether it's
worth the effort.  I like to try to ensure that future spam from the
same sources won't get past my other filters.

This week I hacked my sendmail.cf to reject mail from SMTP clients
without reverse DNS and report it to with a count of "many."
So far it has been very effective and without any false positives.

If you find that the checksums don't propagate within a minute,
please let me know.  Checksum propagation can be tested by running
`dccproc -Q -m map2` with map2 a special client pointing to other
servers or with the dccproc test page at
http://www.rhyolite.com/cgi-bin/dccproc-demo