whiteclnt not working properly?

Thu Jan 17 06:41:27 UTC 2002

> From: "Mark Motley" <mark@motleynet.com>

> Yep, "many message_id <>" is in the whitecommon file.  There was no
> X-DCC header in the log, the only thing I removed from the log was the
> message body.

oh, yes, the Env_To whitelisting is supposed to keep dccm from asking
the DCC server about the message, and so there shouldn't have been
an X-DCC header.

>                   ...   I had it set this way before but changed it in
> prep for spam traps.

I figure spam traps should discard their catches, but I also
figure that spam traps should never get any legitimate mail.
Report-and-discard spam traps need to be able to work on a system
that accepts or bounces mail addressed to real addresses.

Two convenient ways to rig spam traps are:

 - sendmail access_db entries with messages that start with "DCC: DISCARD"
   and a sendmail.cf that has been modified by the script misc/hackmc
   An explicit example is in http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dict-attack.html
   and the files that page points to.

 - /etc/mail/aliases entries for trap addresses of the form:
       trapaddr1: 	dccproc
       trapaddr2: 	dccproc
       trapaddr3: 	dccproc
       dccproc:		"| /usr/local/bin/dccproc -t many -R"

I actually use this to get log files:
       dccproc:		"| /usr/local/bin/dccproc-alias"
where /usr/local/bin/dccproc-alias is approximately:
    #! /bin/sh
    LOG0=`date "+/var/dcc/log/msg.$$-%s"`
    LOG=$LOG
    while test -f $LOG; do
	CNT=`expr 0$CNT + 1`
	LOG=$LOG0.$CNT
    done
    /usr/local/bin/dccproc -t many -R -o $LOG

Maybe I should teach dccproc about log files.