dccproc and qmail: is this sane? .qmail and .qmail-dcc

Thu Jan 10 17:55:50 UTC 2002

> From: Chris Shenton <chris@Shenton.Org>

>   |preline /usr/local/bin/dccproc | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject cshenton-dcc

>           Subject=6 Message-ID=6 Received=1 Body=3 Fuz1=6

> Does this setup make sense? Are there problems I'm missing?

I would add "-w whiteclnt" to the invocation of dccproc to specify
a white/blacklist.

If qmail knows the IP address and can put it into the command line,
I would also use "-a whatever".  Otherwise, if qmail has added a
Received line by that point and it is in a standard sendmail style
that dccproc can recognize, I would use -R.  If qmail has not added
the received line, I would probably not use -R, because the Received
lines of systems other than your own often cannot be trusted.

I know nothing about how qmail works, except for its evident habit in some
configurations of not adding Message-ID lines to mail it relays and
originating bounces without Message-ID lines.
A DCC client blacklist entry of "many message-id <>" is quite
effective for me, because a lot of bulk mail lacks Message-ID lines.
I've received bounces that appear to have come from qmail systems and
that lacked Message-IDs.  Other people who tried that blacklisting
DCC white list entry found it tagged mail from some mailing lists.
Judging from headers, my wild guess is that they somehow use both
`sendmail -bs` and qmail.