Noob questions

Fri Jan 4 23:28:39 UTC 2002

> From: "Mark Motley" <mark@motleynet.com>

> > And second, is there any particular reason to have both a
> > server whitelist and a client whitelist?
>
> Vernon, it's that question again!  ;-)

The server whitelist dates from when I envisioned a small number of
central DCC servers with a whitelist to deal with mailing lists.  That
sounds silly now, but it in special cases it might still make sense.
For example, if you are using a DCC server and clients on the output
of a ISP, you might whitelist the locally hosted mailing hosts and
nothing else because the server gets no checksums from anywhere else.
You might need a DCC client on each SMTP box, but use a single DCC
server.  To keep things as simple as possible, you might use server
whitelist and no client whitelists.

You might also use a server whitelist for your own IP addresses,
company mailing lists, and similar sources of local bulk mail.
This might be important if your users use `dccproc` and can't be
trusted to use the white list "include" mechanism to fetch the local
common list.

Otherwise, server whitelists aren't much good.