Email from whitelisted sender still getting marked as "spam"

Sat Nov 10 00:14:08 UTC 2001

> From: "Mediratta, Bharat" <bharat@fusionone.com>

> I received an email recently that was an evite to a large
> event.  It's been sent to a ton of people, I'm sure.  The
> sender is on my white list.  But it still shows up as spam
> when I run DCC on it.  My question is, do I have DCC
> misconfigured?  What I'm looking for is a series of steps
> that I can take to make sure that my configurations is
> correct.
>
> Background info.  The sender's email address looks like
> this (I changed the alpha characters, but everything else
> is the same)
>
> 	mr.foo-@foo.bar.com
>
> My whiteclnt file says:
>
> 	include /home/bharat/projects/DeepSix/private/whitelist
>
> My whitelist file is at the above location and it says
> (among other things):
>
> 	ok      env-from        mr.foo-@foo.bar.com
>
> When I run DCC on the message it says (this output is taken
> from my DeepSix log file, which is an app that runs messages
> through DCC for me):
>
> <Mr Foo <mr.foo-@foo.bar.com>> "Steve & Maria's Houseboaters' Bash/FDNY Fund
>
> Filter: Asking Menalto DCC
> DCC server says: X-DCC-menalto.com-Metrics: harmony.menalto.com 1003; From=3
> Subject=3
> DCC server says:    Message-ID=many Received=3 Body=3 Fuz1=3
> DCC server says:       From: 02b577ee 4402dd07 b73d54d0 26174d4c
> DCC server says:    Subject: a9af5253 2feea31a 8141c539 83853cba
> DCC server says: Message-ID: d41d8cd9 8f00b204 e9800998 ecf8427e
> DCC server says:   Received: a9293c78 ef7e3e87 3d0a1e9b d8d32a70
> DCC server says:       Body: 8dbc3a5e d409b86e 00fc23ec 41b5fa4b
> DCC server says:       Fuz1: c07dcc72 4120bdcb ee5c04f9 d751b5ba
> DCC Metrics: X-DCC-menalto.com-Metrics: harmony.menalto.com 1003; From=3
> Subject=3  Message-ID=many Received=3 Body=3 Fuz1=3
>
> Any insights?  Thanks.

Since no DCC software that I know about emits "Filter: Asking...",
"DCC server says", or "DCC Metrics:...", I can't really say what
is happening.
What does it mean to "run DCC on the message"?  I suppose that means
running `dccproc` with the message as stdin or -i.

There are still some evident possibilities.

  - whatever string is used to generate the env_from checksum must
     be exactly whatever is in the whitelist.  A mail message
     with an envelope Mail_from value of "Mr Foo <mr.foo-@foo.bar.com>"
     is unaffected by a white line entry like
	 ok   env-from   mr.foo-@foo.bar.com".
     Such a mail message would need a white list line like
	 ok   env-from   Mr Foo <mr.foo-@foo.bar.com>
     Or to fit the SMTP standard,
	 ok   env-from   "Mr Foo" <mr.foo-@foo.bar.com>

  - if the reported line above starting with "DCC Metrics" is the
     header line emitted by dccproc, then notice that there is no
     mention of an env_from checksum count.  That suggests that dccproc
     did not ask its local white list or the DCC server about the envelope
     Mail_from value.

     Dccproc can't white-list a message based on information it does
     not have.  If the mail message does not have a Return-Path header
     line, you must use -f to tell dccproc about the value of the
     envelope Mail_from command.

Does the MTA involved not add a Return-Path line?

See page 50 of RFC 2821 which includes:

   When the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a
   message, it inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail
   data.  This use of return-path is required; mail systems MUST support
   it.  ...