whitelisting mailing lists with dccproc

Nicholas Piper nick-dcc@nickpiper.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 16:52:31 UTC 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: "Brian J. Murrell" <dcc-list@interlinx.bc.ca>

> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 01:04:38PM +0100, Nicholas Piper wrote:

> > Thanks for sharing your spam.  DCC only works if everybody submits
> > their spam for "counting".  It doesn't matter if *you* know it's spam
> > and therefore don't *need* to have DCC tell you that it is.  How about
> > contributing the spam to DCC for the rest of the community?

> I understood the comment about ignoring dccproc results to concern
> white-listed mail.  The DCC clients do not send the checksums of
> locally white-list mail to the DCC server.  I think that is a necessary
> privacy feature, since it keeps the checksums of mail that you know
> is otherwise entirely private from getting outside your network.

Yes, this is what I meant. If the item is known spam I certainly *do*
pass it through dcc, and also run dccproc -t many.

> > IMHO I don't think so.  I think everything should be sent through DCC.
> > What if you just happen to be the one or two people that opted into a
> > marketing list that is also being populated by address scraping?
> > Whitelisting should not be used to suppress DCC counting but should be
> > used to suppress DCC-metric-checking (if you know you want it).

I will adjust my procmail configuration to report all my Internet
travelled mail then, and later ignore the X-DCC headers *if* the mail
is from a solicited source.

Nick

--
Part 3 MEng Cybernetics; Reading, UK       http://www.nickpiper.co.uk/
Change PGP actions of mailer or fetch key see website   1024D/3ED8B27F