whitelisting mailing lists with dccproc

Nicholas Piper nick-dcc@nickpiper.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 12:04:38 UTC 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: Nicholas Piper <nick-dcc@nickpiper.co.uk>

> > Ah; a very good idea. I use a .procmail script to invoke dccproc. I
> > can just *not* pass the mail through dccproc based on procmail rules.

> > Therefore I use procmail for identifying whitelisted emails, not
> > /var/dcc/whiteclnt.

> Yes, but don't you need to pass the dccproc result against procmail
> rules to detect the thresholds?

If I know I'm going to ignore the result I don't bother passing it
through dccproc anymore. If I do pass it through dccproc, I check for
above 20 and/or many flags. If it finds it is bulk mail, I set another
header than Mutt will later use.

> All of that means that it is a waste of effort to try to avoid
> reporting the checksums of solicited bulk mail.

Ah. From reading about the whitelisting feature in the documentation I
was given the impression it was best to *not* report checksums of
solicited bulk mail (I probably thought this because it mentions it
can be used as a "privacy" tool; to not even realise the checksums of
my private and known-to-be-ok mail).

Nick

--
Part 3 MEng Cybernetics; Reading, UK       http://www.nickpiper.co.uk/
Change PGP actions of mailer or fetch key see website   1024D/3ED8B27F