whitelisting mailing lists with dccproc

Dave Lugo dlugo@etherboy.com
Mon Sep 10 17:33:06 UTC 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> Others have suggested that dccproc have dccm style rejection thresholds
> and I keep thinking about them.  However, I can't see a way to use
> them.  If dccproc had spam thresholds, what would it do with them?
> How would dccproc reject mail?  It couldn't and closest it can get to
> discarding mail is to emit nothing on stdout?  Wouldn't that cause grief?

I use dccproc with obtuse smtpd (before procmail is even involved).
Currently, all I can do is a discard after the item is accepted (smtpd's
shortcoming, not any of the DCC tools).

I've asked someone who has been extending smtpd/smtpfwdd (see
sd.inodes.org) to allow an external process to be called at the end of
DATA, before a 250 is issued, and accept/reject the item based on the
return code the external process exits with.

It would be nice if dccproc could return a exit code of '0' for "this
item is ok", and a '1' for "this item exceeds set thresholds".  If
dccproc had that feature, it would make things _slightly_ easier for me,
but I can certainly script around it without much trouble.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Lugo   dlugo@etherboy.com    LC Unit #260   TINLC