whitelisting mailing lists with dccproc

Nicholas Piper nick-dcc@nickpiper.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 15:19:05 UTC 2001

> > From: Nicholas Piper <nick@nickpiper.co.uk>

> What do you want to white-list, the source or the destination?

I want to white-list everything coming from one of these mailing
lists. The unique markings of mail from these mailing lists is the
destination, so I guess I want to whitelist the destination.

> Dccproc doesn't worry about the envelope To value as dccm does on
> the grounds that you can only white-list or blacklist based on the
> to or env_to value.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

> You can whitelist based on the envelope To value by arranging to not
> use dccproc and you can blacklist by arranging to use `dccproc -t
> many` instead of `dccproc`.

Ah; a very good idea. I use a .procmail script to invoke dccproc. I
can just *not* pass the mail through dccproc based on procmail rules.

Therefore I use procmail for identifying whitelisted emails, not
/var/dcc/whiteclnt.

> If you use `dccproc | procmail`, can't procmail choose to ignore any
> 'X-DCC.*many' matches if certain 'To: T-U-G@yahoogroups.com' patterns
> are matched?

I thought it was a bad idea to do this, because it means that the DCC
servers will collect lots of mailing list checksums. For example, your
reply to me has apparently been send to 17 other people who have not
whitelisted this mailing list.

Is it not better to avoid sending the checksums of known and valid
bulk mails to the servers ?

Cheers,

 Nick

--
Part 3 MEng Cybernetics; Reading, UK       http://www.nickpiper.co.uk/
Change PGP actions of mailer or fetch key see website   1024D/3ED8B27F