whitelisting mailing lists with dccproc

Mon Sep 10 15:09:14 UTC 2001

> From: Nicholas Piper <nick@nickpiper.co.uk>

> I subscribe to some yahoo run mailing lists. I can normally identify
> (for sorting purposes) mail from these sources by either the subject
> line (a regexp match) or the to: address
>
> If I put
>
>     ok env-to	T-U-G@yahoogroups.com
>
> in my whiteclnt file, it obviously doesn't match as dccproc doesn't
> have access to the env information.
>
>     ok  to T-U-G@yahoogroups.com
>
> isn't valid, because there is no such match as "to" :-(
>
> What should I do to whitelist mail from such sources ?

What do you want to white-list, the source or the destination?

Dccproc doesn't worry about the envelope To value as dccm does on the
grounds that you can only white-list or blacklist based on the to or
env_to value.  You can whitelist based on the envelope To value by
arranging to not use dccproc and you can blacklist by arranging to
use `dccproc -t many` instead of `dccproc`.

Is it hard to run or not run dccproc for whitelisting based on the
envelope Rcpt_To value, but possible to give dccproc an arg of the
envelope To value?

I keep toying with the idea of adding regular expression support to
dccm, but can't quite make a case for the complication.  I can't see
any case for regexps with dccproc because the idea is that it is used
with `dccproc | procmail` with procmail doing the real rejecting using
regexps that look at X-DCC headers and anything else it wants.

If you use `dccproc | procmail`, can't procmail choose to ignore any
'X-DCC.*many' matches if certain 'To: T-U-G@yahoogroups.com' patterns
are matched?