Any DCC servers available?

Brian J. Murrell dcc-list@interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Jul 16 04:36:48 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 09:19:23PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> You may point a client at the server at dcc.rhyolite.com, but for
> more reliability and less network traffic, it would be better to
> run your own server.

OK.  Do you mind if I point my client at it for a few weeks (too
long?) until I see how well it does?  Does your server see a lot of
spam to checksum or are you like me in that you are only processing
e-mail for a small sample of users at your site?

Of course it would help if I whitelist all of my real bulk traffic
like mailing lists etc. right?  dccproc[1] does not even make a
connection to the server for whitelisted traffice correct?

> One of the features of the servers is that they flood reports of
> checksums of bulk mail among each other.  When a flooding connection
> is created from one server to another, all bulk reports in the
> first server's database are sent to the second server.

The idea is to create a network of servers exchanging checksum
databases then, not unlike the way usenet servers work with articles?
Is there provision in the protcol for knowing when duplicate
information is being received in the case of one server being
connected to several other servers?

> To point a client at a server, use "add host" in the `cdcc` program.
> An anonymous client does not need a password and should use the
> anonymous client-ID 1.

Got 'er working to your server!

Thanx,
b.

[1] I am only interested in seeing the metrics while I am evaluating --
if I like the results I will set up the Sendmail hooks.